Quality Counts California (QCC) provides resources for early learning and care providers to support relationship-based nurturing environments for children, support positive family engagement strategies, connect program standards to positive child outcomes, and promote their quality programs.
High-quality early learning and care environments should provide elements of quality such as:
- The program and staff involves families in enriching children’s learning experiences.
- Children experience positive adult-child relationships and interactions in safe, stable, nurturing environments.
- Teachers have high-quality professional development and growth opportunities.
- Program evaluations, assessments, and observations are conducted to make data-driven decisions for ongoing improvement.
- Developmental and social-emotional monitoring or screening is conducted.
- Activities are age and developmentally appropriate, driven by children’s needs and interests.
Working with Your Local QRIS or QIS
QCC supports a network of local Quality Rating and Improvement Systems (QRISs) and Quality Improvement Systems (QISs). Your local QRIS or QIS then works closely with you to support your commitment to quality and continuous growth and improvement. Some components of a QRIS or QIS vary from county to county based on the needs of local providers. However, each local system:
- Works with the participating programs to enhance program quality through individualized quality improvement plans
- Provides professional development, training, coaching, and other early learning and care workforce support
- Rates some participating programs (depending on program type and funding) on how well they meet statewide program standards for quality
California State Preschool Programs are encouraged to participate in a QRIS or QIS and with this participation have access to quality improvement supports through their local QCC consortium.
The Quality Process Resources
On the Early Educators dashboard, locate the County Program Profile and Services section where you can search by county or ZIP code to display your county’s QRIS or QIS website, county contact information, and child care resource and referral agency.
Additional Resources on Quality
You will find additional resources on the Early Educators dashboard.